Thursday, September 29, 2011

'Catching Energy' - A Nuit Blanche Art Project

Another Nuit Blanche is upon us, and while I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of all the light installations (just my opinion), there is something about this night that draws me in every time. It's the energy. I LOVE all the spontaneous art that takes place, and how open everyone is to art, as a result. In my mind, it's akin to priming an audience before a comedian comes on stage. A good MC will get the audience so well prepared that the comedian doesn't have to over work to get their laughs; the audience is ready, and willing, to enjoy the show. Because of the natural priming that occurs on this night of nights, it's not uncommon to hear Nuit Blanche revellers, during the wee hours of the morning, asking themselves, and each other, "Is that art?" of what they would otherwise consider mundane, and overlook on the day-to-day. It's apparent, by the middle of the night, that everyone is in undeniable 'stop and smell the roses' mode.


So, this year, as opposed to being a mere attendee, I intend to capture the very essence of this creative energy. I will be wandering around (taking in the art), but also with a HUGE canvas, and paints in tow. Throughout the night, at random, I will open up the canvas, and invite my fellow revellers to harness some of that energy, in creative fashion, using my canvas and paints. I'm hoping that many of those who partake are those who do not typically create, as I also want to capture the idea that art is about passion, not ability. Considering the name of my blog, I cannot wait to see what pure, unadulterated 'ArtistcNRG' looks like on a canvas, and to experience the free flow of this energy while I create with strangers. What could be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment